Another finished sewing project for you today - I know that I don't always share everything here when I finish it, but I'm quite pleased with some of my recent makes and this is a pattern which was new to me, so I fancied sharing.
Shorts have been a fairly recent (I've only really been brave enough in the past few years) thing for me. I'm not a fan of my legs and the area of my body which I hate most is my hips, thighs and bum, so it does seem weird to wear anything which would draw any attention to these hated parts. But, as I really don't wear trousers, shorts and tights can be quite useful to team with a guides t-shirt for a weekend at guide camp or away with my unit on trips, etc, so I do wear them quite often these days - my casual wardrobe, I suppose.
I'm sure I've mentioned that I'm off to America soon on a guiding trip, for which we've been supplied with enough uniform t-shirts to wear each day, and I was having a bit of a quandary about what to wear on my legs. We've got a very heavy schedule and will be doing a lot of walking and sight-seeing, but I'm told that New York in August is a warm place to be, so shorts seemed like the natural answer. Which is where I began to struggle a little. Although I have quite a few pairs, a lot of the weights and squats I do at the gym lately mean that my body shape has changed a little and I'm kind of disproportionate, so it's getting harder to buy things off the peg and expect them to fit perfectly. Which sucks, as it's throwing my body confidence into all kinds of disarray.
I think I spied this dinosaur print cotton twill before realising that actually, I might be able to make my own, to measure. After a little research, I was recommended the Grainline Maritime pattern and they looked to be just what I had in mind. I ordered and downloaded the pattern, and set to work figuring out how to adjust the pattern pieces so that the shorts would fit both my waist, and my hips and bum. Although I didn't create a toile of them, I tried them on at each step and had ordered two metres of fabric, which I knew would be more than I needed, in order that I could cut out a piece again if I needed to.
The pattern construction itself was very straightforward but I was very pleased to be able to refer to this tutorial when it came to inserting the zip. This is probably the most simple to follow zipper tutorial I've come across, and I hate front zips, so it really was a bit of a lifesaver.
I like the fit on the shorts now that they're done and I'm looking forward to wearing them when I'm away. I'm quite tempted to make myself another pair, but perhaps a little longer, although the length of them isn't *too* short or anything. I can never quite figure out what the most flattering length of shorts is for me, but I'd certainly recommend the pattern and am very happy with these!