On Friday, I ran some errands and had a little last-minute panic, double checked about four different lists, loaded approximately one trillion bags into the car, and then finally pootled over the hills to the Peak District to spend a weekend with my fellow unicorns.
After some hold ups with a work thing and some rubbish news from my most recent blood results, I was definitely in need of a weekend away from everything. With no phone signal or internet. I packed my knitting needles and a new project (more on that soon!), my running trainers and my walking boots. And very little else.
Some things I learned this weekend:
- Blanket stitch - I can't understand how it's taken me this long to pick this one up, but my camp blanket thanks me.
- I'm rotten at running up hills.
- I can't read maps.
- Curry powder has gluten in it.
- Walks of any distance can be enhanced by playing "peloton".
- Double point needles are less scary than I thought.
- Parkrun marshals are always friendly and encouraging.
- Frankly, a weekend full of laughter, crafting and cake can make you feel a lot better about most things.