I do seem to be getting very lax at this whole blogging thing. I'll have all these ideas, then when I turn around it's been a week and I haven't posted anything at all. I'd apologise, but that seems to be something which happens in every area of my life right now. I suppose the answer is to try and manage my time more wisely.
I'm back in the throes of a love affair with my trusty Simplicity 2444. At one point in dressmaking I felt as though that particular pattern was almost something of a cuss-word, it was so so common. But, I love the shape and have been reaching for my older versions of these dresses lately, so it seemed right to make some more. I finished a polar bear print one a couple of weeks back, too.
I've been on a fabric ban so far this year (actually, an everything ban - no new anything until after we move. Not that there's a date for that yet, but still..) but I have *so*much to work my way through, even after sending a big package off to my friends' Brownie unit to use, and another big bag of scraps off to my sister. The stash looks a little tidier, but there still doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to make everything I'd like to.
|Fabric: Riley Blake Neverland collection.|
Anyhow, this particular fabric arrived back in November. Despite not being one of those Disney-obsessed people, I was reeeally drawn to both the background colour and the cartoonish, pastel hues of this Peter Pan print. Since I spend most of my Mondays and Wednesdays answering to being called Tinkerbell, it only seemed right that this should become a dress.
Settling on 2444 was the easy part, I guess, and I cut the pieces out a while ago. I've been stalling over what to do about the collar. I'd wanted to do some kind of Peter Pan collar, because I thought that would be kinda cute, but having already decided it was going to have pockets, the off-cuts I had left didn't have the best parts of the print on them, and although I could have just about managed a couple of collar pieces from them, I didn't like how they'd sit.
In the end, I raided a jar of trims which I've collected over the past few years and came up with these purple sequins which seemed to match the print rather perfectly. I hand-stitched a collar outline to the top of the bodice (I know the photo might not look like it, but they're even and I did use a template piece), and also had enough left to go around the hem. Hand-stitching sequins turned out to be a relatively gentle activity, which I was able to manage between naps on Saturday morning and endless episodes of The Animals of Farthing Wood.
The only thing left to do was decide what shoes / bag to wear with it...