Pages

Thursday, 13 June 2019

Liberty dinosaur Betty..

IMG_5867
Fabric: Liberty Rumble and Roar Tana Lawn {sold out} 
I can't remember exactly when I first found this fabric. I remember seeing it on someone's instagram feed and thinking how absolutely perfect it was. Even though I had no firm plans for it, I ordered two metres from Liberty London pretty much immediately, and let it languish in my fabric stash for a couple of years. I have a couple of other Liberty fabrics sat around waiting to become garments and a couple of dresses which I've made with some of their gorgeous tana lawn, but sometimes I think it's the kind of fabric which scares me a little to cut into it. You know, that feeling where you think you don't want to cut into it for fear of ruining it..

IMG_5866
Pattern: SOI Betty Dress 
Well, I found and was reminded of it last summer and decided enough was enough> two metres of fabric are no use to me sitting in a box, so what I needed to do was pick a pattern and get on with it. I decided to go with the old favourite Sew Over It Betty dress. It's a pattern I've used time and again and I know it's a good fit for me without needing much tweaking. I pinned out the pattern pieces, got distracted, and then packed it all up into a box because I was moving house. So, it took a few months before I picked it up again.

AKEQ0876
Collar: self-drafted using pins and tissue paper
I don't know whether it was cheating to include this dress in my #2019makenine post, but I did. And, to be honest, I'm glad that I did because it's now June and I've only managed one from nine. Argh! 

Anyhow, I don't have a huge amount to say on the construction process - I've made this dress so many times before that I could probably do it in my sleep. I made a sleeveless bodice with a green twill lining (I just found it in my statsh and there was enough of it and it was in the right colour for this fabric, which is a little too thin to go unlined) and also attached some light tulle net into the skirt as I gathered it up for extra volume. 

As I finished up the hem and popped it on the mannequin, I decided there was something missing. I couldn't decide whether to make some bows to go on the shoulders (which I've done with this dinosaur one and really liked, although it does make wearing a cardigan over them a little bulky), or whether to add a Peter Pan collar. After a little IG Stories poll.......I completely disregarded the results and set about pinning some tissue paper to the neckline, so that I could figure out the shape and size of the collar I had in mind. (I *must* have a pattern piece for a PP collar somewhere, but I'll admit that not all of my sewing room boxes are unpacked yet, so who knows where it may be). 

IMG_5875

As a final touch, I managed to find a length of ribbon (one drawer which has been sorted out at least) which was the perfect colour and length to add a little bow. I've stitched it in place so so that I don't have to worry about faffing with tying it up or it coming loose. 

So, one down out of my #2019makenine and let's ignore the fact that we're already halfway through the year. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful, char! Good choice with the collar and bow. I bought some liberty fat quarters the other day (green teapots and pink cupcakes and biscuits) and think I'll use them for cute facings and pocket bags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic, the ribbon really pulls it together and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete